How to Make Real Southern-Style Sweet Tea

August 24, 2012

I've been hearing people rave about how good Arizona's Southern Style Sweet Tea is so when I was at Wal-Mart a few days ago I bought a jug of it to try it out. I poured myself a glass of it this morning and had to immediately spit it out. It's disgusting! I don't know HOW people drink that stuff. Then, it made me mad that it was called "Southern-Style" Sweet Tea and I started thinking, "Are people trying this stuff thinking that it's actually how sweet tea is supposed to taste?! No wonder the Yankees don't like it."

So, I thought I would take it upon myself to educate you all on how to make REAL Southern-Style Sweet Tea. Now, some of you may scoff at the amount of sugar. "1 1/2 - 2 CUPS ARE YOU SERIOUS?!" Um, yes, hello. This is called sweet tea. If you really think you just have to use less, then I give you permission to use 1 cup of sugar but if you use any less, well, it's not Southern-Style Sweet Tea anymore. It's just Southern-Style shit. If you're gonna do something, do it right. Right?


19 comments:

  1. This is one of the first things I learned when I moved here! I LOVE (real) sweet tea!! and yeah, I've had that Arizona stuff up in New Jersey... yuck! Seriously, it's terrible, I don't know how people drink that stuff #vom

    ReplyDelete
  2. HAHAHA! I love this! Amen sister

    ReplyDelete
  3. A girl after my own heart!! I will admit that I do love me some powdered Lipton Raspberry tea...shameful??? Glad we found each other!! Love your blog!!
    Shanna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never tried that before! Thank you, I love yours as well :)

      Delete
  4. I love this! I'm from Kentucky and on a recent trip to Colorado I came across "sweet tea" on a restaurant menu. I didn't have high expectations, but the stuff they brought me was not particularly sweet or tea-like. Glad I found your blog :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I used to ask for sweet tea in Kansas they would bring me un-sweet tea and 2 little sugar packets. I was like UM... WHAT IS THIS?

      Delete
  5. this is fantastic! i was just wanting to make some sweet tea. thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  6. i love making my own tea.... i also love adding different fruit flavored syrups every once in a while to give it an extra kick!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never added syrups before. I bet peach and raspberry are good!

      Delete
  7. This made me laugh out loud! I'm a northerner, so I can't stomach sweet tea...but I sure as hell know the RIGHT way to make it for my farm-boy husband! PREACH IT, SISTA!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. this is funny simply because I've yet to find the PERFECT sweet tea "trick" - I'm givin this one a shot. hahahaha. newest follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Now I'm excited because I think the Arizona tea is bomb.com! lol Don't judge me. I'm just an ignorant Hawai'i girl. So what brand of tea is that? I want to make sure I do it exactly like you. I hope it's available to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I use the Great Value (Walmart) brand! lol.. This one http://www.walmart.com/ip/Great-Value-Black-Tea-Iced-Tea-Brew-Tea-Bags-48ct/20567607

      If I don't use the store brand I use Lipton. Just make sure the ingredients are Orange Pekoe And Pekoe Cut Black Tea.

      Delete
  10. Yep, you need sugar to make it sweet. I don't let mine rest after boiling. The first "tea is still hot but the ice is cooling it down" glass is my favorite.

    ReplyDelete

 
Pin It button on image hover